Tuesday, June 8, 2010

All good things must come to an end.




Our group had the opportunity to explore Europe on our own for our weekend off. Some people went to Scotland (Glasgow and Edinburgh) others stayed in Belfast and visited nearby towns. Robbie went to Holland to meet up with a friend and got to explore Amsterdam and other cities in Holland. Brian participated in a hundred-mile fundraising bike tour. We're EXTREMELY proud of him, as he completed the entire journey- on a 1970's road bike and wearing pink helmet to boot!

For most of us, it is time now to pack up and leave Northern Ireland. We wanted to leave our loyal followers with individual thoughts on the experience and what we've learned, what we've discovered, or what it has meant to us.

Michelle - "Its a bittersweet moment leaving this place. I have learned and experienced so much. The people, the coast, the city, my classmates and group leaders have come together to create this amazing and challenging experience that I will never forget."

Brian Hubbard - "I biked 80 miles around the surrounding Strangford Lough in Eastern Northern Ireland. I was amazed by the beauty that I witnessed on my bicycle tour around this body of water. The journey took me through rolling hills and small country roads. I observed the various landscapes and architecture. The journey was long and tough but well worth it! I took a day trip to Derry/Londonderry to see this city. I observed murals and went to a few museums."

Joyce Strand - "This trip has been eye opening to the power of history. The people we have met have so many layers and complexities to deal with and yet the youth and youth workers we've met are the ones crossing the boundaries and bringing hope to their communities. I am inspired by the work happening here."

One of the people we were able to speak to on this trip, told us lighting a candle is better than sitting in the dark. I think youth can hold that candle and they are looking for a source of fire. I am coming back from this trip with a figurative box of matches. Ross left us with the idea that one thing he's learned from a friend this trip, is that to a certain extent there will always be disappointments associated with youth work, but "you have to keep hoping for the possible."

CHEERS to Peace and Possibility!!



No comments:

Post a Comment